by epi on January 26, 2014

Alida January 26, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Can you please advise which fork and knife should be presented at the table when offering shrimp?

Elizabeth January 26, 2014 at 2:40 pm

There may have been special shrimp forks once upon a time, but today one would eat shrimp according to what course it was served as. Cocktail shrimp are eaten by hand, a shrimp salad would be eaten with the salad fork, and a shrimp scampi entree would be eaten with the dinner fork – so far as I understand it. Perhaps there are more knowledgeable people who can comment? In terms of knives, most people only have standard knives and steak knives, so the standard one would be used.

Winifred Rosenburg January 26, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Traditionally an oyster fork is used to eat shrimp, but if the tails are still attached you may use your fingers. There is no special knife that I am aware of.

Daniel January 26, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Many of the guests attending our wedding are currently 4th year medical students. They will all be graduating five days prior to our wedding, and thus will be Doctors when they attend the event; however they will not have graduated when we will be sending out our invitations. Would it be improper to address the invitations: Doctor Jane Smith and Mr. John Smith since they have not yet graduated? My guess is that we should probably address them “Mr. and Mrs. John Smith” since they haven’t yet graduated, but I don’t want to offend.

Nina January 27, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Daniel,

Congrats on the upcoming wedding! I don’t have a reference for this, but I think the invitation should be addressed to the person who actually be retrieving the mail at that point, so Mr/Ms, not Dr. However, you could put the “Dr.” on the placecards or seating chart, since on the big day everyone will have received their titles and will probably still be excited to see them used.

Maybe someone else has a better researched answer…

Elizabeth January 27, 2014 at 5:07 pm

That sounds right to me. I would almost be afraid of jinxing it by using the title Dr. too early!