by epi on December 19, 2012

Chocobo December 19, 2012 at 11:52 am

A coworker recently gave me a very thoughtful gift that took me much by surprise. We share a common interest in silver and she very kindly bought me a matching piece to my antique set. I was going to give some homemade cookies, but I’m unsure if that is enough considering what was given to me. What should I do?

Kate December 19, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I think gift giving is one of those things that can easily escalate and get to be a burden as each party tries to “do enough”. Keeping it scaled back with a homemade gift is just fine; it’s the intent and goodwill behind the gift that is most important. Later, if you see something that you know your coworker will like, you could always pick it up for him/her–don’t just run out and buy something for the sake of buying something.

Alicia December 19, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Also antique silver is lovely but it is absolutely the type of thing one can find at all sorts of price points. I know about a year ago I found a few pieces for my friends silver at a yard sale for ten cents each. Had she reciprocated with a very expensive gift I would have felt guilty about having her give me that when I spent only sixty cents. Treat it as what it is a lovely thoughtful kind gift. Send a thank you note give her holiday cookies and consider that she has done a nice thing.

Jody December 19, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Chocobo, I would go ahead & give the gift you’d planned, along with a nice note thanking your coworker for her gift and letting her know how much you appreciate it. To me, homemade gifts are always a good present and your worker will (I think) appreciate the effort you put into it. You should never worry that your gift isn’t “enough.”

Tim Dunn December 19, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Regarding a formal business or event invitation on which the company or organization’s logo is included at the top of the invitation – if the copy then says that NAME, president or chairman invites you to such and such an event, it seems unnecessary to include the company’s name again after the NAME, prsident or chairman. It would seem implied that NAME, president is, indeed, the president of that organization. Thank you.

Tina December 19, 2012 at 2:43 pm

I would like to know how to address an envelope to a newly married couple when the female has kept her maiden name. Anyone?

Alicia December 19, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Mr. John Smith and Mrs. Sarah Jones
123 Some Street
Town, St
12345

Tina December 19, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Thank You and have a great holiday.

Alicia December 19, 2012 at 5:54 pm

You are welcome. I hope you have a great holiday as well.

Bruce Boccardy December 21, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Hi,
Say, what is the proper way to address holiday cards when there are children living at home…sometimes several. Thank you.

Alicia December 21, 2012 at 6:25 pm

The Smith Family
123 some road
City, ST
12345

or
Mr and Mrs Smith
Miss Sarah Smith
Mr John Smith
Miss Jane Smith
Master Joe Smith
123 Some Street
City, ST
12345

If you do the individual names it is oldest to youngest of the kids and a boy under 13 is called master.