by epi on October 24, 2012

Dana Ohde October 25, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Should the dad of the bride be expected to attend the rehearsal dinner when, he is not the one giving her away? This is her second marriage and he gave her away the first time?

Just Laura October 25, 2012 at 10:23 pm

A lot of people attend rehearsal dinners but aren’t giving the bride away. I’ve attended two rehearsal dinners, but gave away no brides, and no one seemed to take issue with it. Are you asking if the father is required to be at the dinner? I’m sure he shouldn’t be forced to make an appearance if something more important stands in his way, but others might think it odd.
Besides, it’s his daughter – why wouldn’t he want to attend?

Winifred Rosenburg October 25, 2012 at 11:35 pm

I agree with Laura. I would like to add that the bride is never required to have her father walk her down the aisle as some people don’t appreciate the anti-feminist symbolism behind. Regardless of who if anyone is walking the bride down the aisle both sets of parents should be invited to the rehearsal dinner (assuming they are invited to the wedding).

Brockwest October 29, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Nobody is required to be at the rehearsal dinner, but it is standard that both sets of parents, the bride and groom, and bridesmaids and groomsmen attend. If there is a problem with one parent (divorce situation, poor relationship), you are not required to ask that parent. If it is a simple matter that for some reason you chose not to have the father escort you down the aisle, but they are attending the wedding, by all means invite them to the rehearsal dinner, but they are not required to attend.

Peggy Fruge' April 22, 2013 at 10:12 pm

I will be hosting my step daughters wedding (her father , my husband passed away two years ago) I am having difficulty in wording the invitations. Do I include my late husband and the biological mom. Her mother and I will both be walking her down the aisle. Please help. My stepdaughter has left this decision up to me.

Alicia April 23, 2013 at 1:31 am

The dead are not able to host so they do not get mentioned on invites.
The best option would be “Together with their families”