by epi on May 18, 2012

Chocobo May 18, 2012 at 11:01 am

I have heard that one must not wear precious stones before the evening. I understand why wearing a sapphire necklace at ten-in-the-morning would look a bit goofy, but does this extend to rings? I inherited a small right-hand ring with a simple ruby solitaire from my mother. Should I restrict wearing my mother’s ring to only the evening, or may I wear it all day without looking silly and ostentatious? I only wear my small engagement ring and wedding band on my left-hand besides this ring.

Just Laura May 18, 2012 at 12:01 pm

If we couldn’t wear precious stones before the evening at all, then none of us could wear our engagement rings or right-hand rings daily. Personally, I’ve never heard of this rule, and I see ladies with gemstone rings on all the time.

Chocobo May 18, 2012 at 11:01 am

I have heard that one must not wear precious stones before the evening. I understand why wearing a sapphire and diamond necklace at ten-in-the-morning would look a bit goofy, but does this extend to rings? I inherited a small right-hand ring with a simple ruby solitaire from my mother. Should I restrict wearing my mother’s ring to only the evening, or may I wear it all day without looking silly and ostentatious? I only wear my small engagement ring and wedding band on my left-hand besides this ring.

Pam May 20, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Chocobo, like Just Laura, I have never heard of this rule. The only thing I wouldn’t wear during the day is overly sparkly HUGE hoop earrings that are meant for a nightclub or something, but other than that what you have described is perfectly fine to wear at any time.

Sandra May 18, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Hello:
How do I post to open thread?
Sandra

Pam May 20, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Sandra, you just did post. You can just post your question and then the Emily Post site will post it after they have reviewed it.

kate December 17, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Can anyone think of a gentle way to let go of a step mother in law who has remarried after the father died. We are in seperate states and will never return to her state. She sends cards/presents etc and we recirocate but do not want to which sounds terrible but that is the short version and the facts. She shows no signs of dying anytime soon. Thanks