by epi on April 27, 2012

Emily April 27, 2012 at 9:15 am

Hello,

I am graduating next week from my masters program. In undergraduate school I was Valedictorian and received academic regalia based on that accomplishment (Phi Kappa Phi pin, a gold rope and gold stole . Do I wear that regalia to my graduate ceremony as well? My university does not seem to have any guidelines.

Thank you!

Alicia April 27, 2012 at 9:20 am

Generally when one is graduating you were the regaillia from your current accomplishment. So I would not wear your rope and stole from undergrad. The pin maybe in a less obvious location but maybe not at all.

Emily April 27, 2012 at 9:24 am

Sorry, I meant Honor cord above not gold rope :)

Just Laura April 27, 2012 at 9:48 am

Congratulations, Emily! I too graduated with a gold honors cord and stole from undergrad, then went on to graduate school. Just as you wouldn’t wear your National Honors Society (high school honor) stole at your college graduation, you shouldn’t wear your undergrad accomplishments that were particular to your undergraduate program at your graduate ceremony. Your Phi Kappa Phi pin, however, transcends your undergraduate degree (as I understand it). I’m in Phi Alpha Theta myself, and we were encouraged to wear that throughout our academic careers.

(I included links for those societies to better explain how they are earned-honors fraternities, and not part of the social Greek system.)

Winifred Rosenburg April 27, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I’m curious what others think about people who ask for favors via Facebook. I have a Facebook friend who does this at least once a week. She’ll say things like “I had a bad day. Who wants to take me out to dinner?” I find it all rather irritating. Is it just me, or should she tone down the Facebook requests?

Just Laura April 27, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I’m sure the EPI could write a book on Facebook complaints/issues alone.

I’ve found that ignoring those sorts of requests is best, but what makes the inner Evil JustLaura feel better is when no one ever responds.

Alicia April 27, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I think it depends a lot on the favor requested. “Take me out to dinner” is always rude. A friend of mine has a request up right now asking about book recomendations . I think that type of request is great and am involved in the lively banter about books going on at her status today.
Another friend recently asked for a review of some kids summer camps. Great fine. So basically asking people to buy you stuff or give you stuff is obnoxious and selfish asking people for thoughts or opinions is fine at least in my opinion.

Vanna Keiler April 27, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with JustLaura’s comment that EPI could definitely write an entire blog alone on Facebook. I think this offense is in the eye of the beholder, but it does sound a little entitled, as in “who is LUCKY enough to take me out?”. Something like “Having a bad day. Anyone available/interested in meeting me for dinner? Send me a message.” sends one message but addresses everyone more individually as well.

Just Laura April 27, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Oh yes, definitely differentiate between normal friendly requests (Any suggestions for wedding songs?) and gimme requests (Junior’s having a party! What will you be bringing?).