by epi on April 24, 2012

Scarlett April 24, 2012 at 7:44 am

Good morning, all – I have a business etiquette question and hope you can help. My husband and I will be relocating out of state and I will be seeking employment there. Our relocation time frame is between 18 months and 3 years, sooner if I get the right opportunity. We already own a home there, and our mail is being forwarded from that address until we move permanently. Because my search could take a while due to the current job market, I want to start filling out “job interest cards” with various employers, to be notified when certain positions become available. This is all done on-line and is very new to me, as I have been out of the job market for 14 years and so much has changed in that time. The notifications are supposed to come by e-mail which is not a problem, but they want other contact information, which brings me to my question: when I fill out these job interest cards, which street address do I use? I want to be honest but I also do not want a potential employer to discount me because of an out-of-state address. The on-line form is basically a fill-in-the-blank template with space to input one address. You cannot attach a cover letter/resume and there is no room for a note/comment. Any advice or insight you can provide will be appreciated. Thanks so much.

Alicia April 24, 2012 at 8:01 am

If you expect relocation assistance put your current state address if you do not expect relocation assisance put the new state address.

Zakafury April 24, 2012 at 9:35 am

If you can attend an interview on a week’s notice, but your local address.

Surely something you have sent them provides a place to say you intend to relocate. If no where else, you could include this in an objective statement on your resume.

Scarlett April 24, 2012 at 10:17 am

I haven’t sent them anything yet. The positions are not currently available but hopefully will open up at some point in the future. The job interest cards are a means to be notified when they are ready to fill the position. There are several positions with each employer that I am qualified for and interested in. Are you suggesting that I go ahead and submit a resume and cover letter? Depending on what position opens up first, I might want to tailor my resume accordingly. Thanks.

Elizabeth April 24, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I would use the address local to employer, since you have one. I think companies are more likely to be interested in a local candidate. However, it sounds as if they will notify you electronically, so it doesn’t matter. I would not submit a resume and cover letter to a position that is not yet open.

Zakafury April 25, 2012 at 8:01 am

If no other information about you is involved yet, I agree with Elizabeth.

I don’t think anyone with hiring power is going to look over the “job interest cards” at a company large enough to use such a thing. As it’s all on line, I’m skeptical that any person at all is going to read it.