Facebook Faux Pas: Keeping photos of your kids off the Internet

by epi on April 18, 2012

Q: My 8-year-old son went to a classmate’s birthday party, and his pal’s mom posted photos of the fete on Facebook.  What do I do?

A: Navigating online spaces such as Facebook is part of modern life.  If you don’t want your child’s picture posted online, ask this mom to remove the photos that include him.  Don’t chastise her; simply say you’re uncomfortable having your son on Facebook.  In the future, when you RSVP for a party, ask the parent not to include your son in party photos she posts online.

Chocobo April 18, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I often wonder what the long-term consequences will be of over-sharing information about one’s children on social media. My “feed” is filled with questions about possible health problems, parenting gripes (that will be fun for the children to find in the future), updates on baby bowel movements, personal family photos, and other items that I otherwise would not see from people I am not that close to. It doesn’t personally bother me to see “Junior is driving me crazy again with the wall-art!” and “Here’s a pick of my kiddo covered in chocolate cake!”, but I wonder if they are stopping to consider what sharing these pictures and notes will do for their children. The children’s lives are being publicly documented and their privacy opened to the world before they even have a say in it. Personally I would prefer to keep my children’s lives private until they are old enough to make that decision on what they want to share with the world for themselves.

Just Laura April 18, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I recently read an article written by one of those oversharing mothers. She described learning the error of her ways when her little boy ran to her crying that the little neighbor girl had seen “in the buff” pictures of him on Facebook, and was making fun of him. I wish these parents would think of someone besides themselves just once to see how that might affect their little child down the road.

Rose May 25, 2012 at 6:19 pm

If people actually took the time to LEARN how to use all of Facebook’s cool features, then this would not be an issue. You can set up your albums to be viewed by certain people on your friends’ list. Pictures of my 2 year-old? Viewable by family/close friends. Pictures of me drunk as a skunk? Viewable by close friends…no family allowed! Lol

Jerry May 25, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Yes, but people don’t take the time to learn about all of Facebook’s features. Why? Because they often have better things to do. Moreover, at issue in this case is not whether you choose to make your children visible to the world, but whether someone else can make that decision for you.

kathy October 31, 2012 at 8:57 pm

How do you respond to “isn’t he (or she) the cutest baby ever!” well actually, no…and im tired of you bragging about your kids 10 times a day. Growing up I had a friend who’s Mother constantly one-uped my Mom in talking about her daughter. “Well she did this and she did that.” I asked my mom one day if she ever got tired of her saying that. She most politely said that of course she was extremely proud of me, but she didnt need to brag about it and that what was most important was how she told me how she felt. I carry that with me and get tired of the Facebook “look at me” posts which are essentially telling your friends how much better you are or how their kids are better than yours.

Winifred Rosenburg November 1, 2012 at 12:48 am

This is a you can’t please everyone situation. This person likely has other friends who love her posts and would be very disappointed to see them stop. Fortunately, Facebook has an answer: unsubscribe to this friend on your newsfeed and you won’t have baby pictures cluttering your newsfeed anymore.