Entitled Introductions: Meeting your daughter’s date

by epi on April 27, 2012

Q: How do you introduce yourself when your teenager’s friends meet you for the first time? Is it ‘Hi, I am Corry Schreck’ or is it ‘Hi, I am Mrs Schreck’? Our daughter is beginning to date and we require meeting the young man before he takes her out. Our daughter would prefer to have her coat on and rushes to answer the door. I feel that she should give us a little bit of time to make introductions, small chit-chat and be on their way. What is a parent to do?

A: It would be appropriate to introduce yourself as “Mrs. Schreck.” Nonetheless, you are correct in asking your daughter to ask her date to come in and meet you. If your daughter objects, you may simply say that, as her parents and responsible for her, that you are entitled to meet her date before they go out.

Jody April 27, 2012 at 6:26 am

I agree with EPI on the “meeting the date” question. As for how you introduce yourself, I’d like to add something. I think you should introduce yourself by whatever name you’d like your daughter’s date to call you. If you prefer to be called Mrs. Schreck that’s how you should introduce yourself. If you prefer he call you by your first name, introduce yourself as Corry Schreck .

polite punk April 27, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Agreed.

Glen April 27, 2012 at 11:59 am

I had a martial arts instructor with a teenage daughter. He had an old baseball bat with several large nails driven through the end of the bat and a shoebox of nails. He would show them to his daughter’s date and ask him to “choose your nail.”

Jerry April 27, 2012 at 5:17 pm

I don’t get it. Was he implying that his daughter had a lot of gentleman friends?

Polymathamy May 1, 2012 at 8:30 pm

My mom told me early on that unless my date came to the door to pick me up, I would not allow to go out with him. She made it clear that I was to be respected, not treated like a dog who comes running to a whistle or the honk of a car horn.

Heather July 23, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I have always read that it is impolite to introduce yourself with an honorific. So whether you are introducing yourself to a teen or contemporary, it would be “hello, I’m Corry Schreck.” The (proper) teen would call you Mrs. Schreck unless/until you invite otherwise (“Please, call me Corry”).

Or is this now outmoded? Possibly no one has the sense to call someone by a formal name and needs to be directed to do so?