by epi on February 15, 2012

Winifred Rosenburg February 15, 2012 at 11:36 am

I’m in the process of starting a not-for-profit organization. I was wondering what is the polite way to solicit donations for such an organization? I don’t want to become the person who is always asking for money, but I also don’t want the organization to suffer from me being overly shy.

Country Girl February 15, 2012 at 1:41 pm

My college internship was at a large non-profit. Our development director was fairly harsh and salesman-like, calling long lists of potential donors to persuade them to make contributions. Although she was very gruff and kind of scary, she ended up getting a lot of donors into giving to our organization.

But I don’t necessarily think this is the only, or best, option. I think a couple tips for better ways to get donations would be:

1) Create numerous opportunities for donors to support your organization. Events make it fun and rewarding for people to give.

2) Networking. Attend networking events, and definitely utilize a Facebook page to expand your reach!

3) It might be worth your time to create a webpage for your organization which makes it easy for people to donate online.

4) Don’t think of only donations only in the monetary sense. Some companies and individuals have other resources which can be equally valuable to you. For instance, make friends with a radio DJ or journalist. They can help spread the word of your organization to thousands of people!

5) Sharing your passion for your organization is infectious, and getting people to see that passion can be ten-fold more effective than hard-selling.

Chrissie February 28, 2012 at 10:57 am

Hello all, I have the first date jitters!
My new date and I have firmed up plans to meet at a local restaurant, one I go to often. I know I will know many people there. Will it be rude to greet my friends as I walk to our table that he has reserved while he is waiting? Or should I ignore my friends and greet him first, then let friends approach me. A whole new venue is desirable but not an option at this point. Thank you!!

Elizabeth February 28, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I think I would compromise between your two options and give your friends a wave when you arrive without necessarily inviting them over for a chat. If they do come over, do your best to keep it short and sweet so you can devote your attention to your date. Hope it goes well!

Amidou December 8, 2012 at 9:10 am

:Great stuff from you, man. Ive read your stuff before and youre just too asmwoee. I love what youve got here, love what youre saying and the way you say it. You make it entertaining and you still manage to keep it smart. I cant wait to read more from you. This is really a great blog.

Zakafury February 28, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I think giving your friends who expect a quick “hello” the cold shoulders would seem odd. I say you greet people, and be ready to introduce your new friend a few times. Hopefully your friends will get the idea and leave you to a peaceful meal.