Try leaving it in the car…

by Cindy Post Senning on January 24, 2012

Have you ever had your cell phone ring when you’re at a concert or in church? Oh my gosh – how embarrassing!

Have you ever checked to see who just sent you a text when you were in a conversation with someone at a social event? How rude could that be?

I wonder who's calling!

It is so hard to ignore the signal that you have a call or a text. Who could it be? What important message might you miss? The temptation to answer or, at least , look is great. I was talking with a friend about this very temptation and she said, “I know – that’s why I just leave my phone in the car!” What a great solution. Remove the temptation! Now if I don’t want to be interrupted or don’t want to risk forgetting to shut it off, I leave my phone in the car.

If I had teenagers at home, I could set a good example. They might get the message that the person or the event of the moment is more important than a phone call or a text message. Those will wait. That’s why we have voice mail.

So the next time you’re heading into a concert, a movie, or a social event, try leaving your phone in the car. You won’t miss it, I promise!

Alicia January 24, 2012 at 12:09 pm

The threat of your car being broken into and the phone stolen keeps me from leaving it in the car. Instead I just turn it off and keep it in my purse.

Just Laura January 24, 2012 at 12:47 pm

In case you ever do have your phone stolen from your car, most car insurances cover that (simply an FYI for you; I’m not trying to tell you where to park your phone). :)

LC January 25, 2012 at 11:53 am

Yes, but the deductible is probably higher than the cost to replace it. I would never leave a phone in the car (or any other valuable, for that matter). As Alicia said, just turn it off or silence it and resist the urge to pull it out when you are with company.

Becca Carr January 24, 2012 at 3:20 pm

I ALWAYS leave my phone in the car when I go to a formal dinner, or class, and sometimes work. Fits perfectly in the glove compartment or in my purse which stays in the trunk. If thieves don’t see anything to take, they are less likely to break into your vehicle.

LC January 25, 2012 at 11:55 am

Not entirely true. I had my car broken into even though there was literally nothing in it and nothing visible. They broke in to rifle through the glove box and console, because they know that’s where people stick things in hopes of fooling them.

Just Me January 24, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Actually, it wouldn’t be covered under your car insurance policy (unless it is physically attached to your vehicle), and therefore you would have to put in a claim through your home insurance. Best practice would be not to leave any items of value in your car.

Just Laura January 24, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Perhaps your insurance doesn’t cover it? (I don’t have homeowners.) Mine is USAA, and they informed me that my cell (as well as iPod) would be covered. Didn’t mean to spread false info if other insurances don’t do this!

Jody January 24, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Yes, it’s safest to check with your insurer. Mine (Nationwide) covers it, either through my homeowner’s policy (for thefts outside the residence) or auto policy. If you do keep your cell phone with you, please do keep it turned off.

Jerry January 24, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Or just keep it on silent. Then you have it in case you need it, but won’t be tempted to check it if and when it rings.

Kathy January 25, 2012 at 4:46 pm

The point here is not exactly leaving it in the car… The point is to remove the temptation of checking your smartphone by leaving it in a safe place – that you determine – so as to avoid this faux pas.