by epi on January 24, 2012

Leslie January 24, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Good morning. I am working on an academic investiture with multiple events. The information for all events will be included in one printed invitation. Any rules of etiquette that dictate rsvps? Can you include different rsvp’s within the same invite?

Zakafury January 24, 2012 at 3:05 pm

If there is more than one host, I think separate invitations would avoid confusion. If the responses will all go to the same place, then asking for detailed information is fine.

Using a response card should let you get the specifics clearly. Otherwise, you may end up returning a lot of phone messages for clarification.

NYbride January 24, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Hello — I am getting married in April and would like advice on the proper way to address outer envelopes to guests. For background, while our wedding is not “formal” in terms of attire (groom and groomsmen will be in navy blazers, ties, khakis), it is taking place at my family’s church, with reception at our private country club.
1. Is it proper etiquette to include middle names or middle initials on the outer envelope?
2. Is it proper etiquette to address unmarried women as Miss, or Ms.? Does it depend on age? I’ve read that any abbreviations should be avoided (e.g., using “Doctor” vs. “Dr.”).

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Just Laura January 24, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Congratulations! Perhaps one of these Emily Post Institute articles on addressing invitations will help you. It sounds like your wedding will be informal (and probably a lot of fun), so here is a link to the specific article regarding those.

Susan Faber January 24, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Hello–We are using formal wording on the wedding invitations that my husband and I are sending out for my daughter’s wedding. She is a medical doctor. What is the appropriate wording for her name–Alice Marie or Doctor Alice Marie Jones?

Winifred Rosenburg January 25, 2012 at 12:52 am