by epi on December 16, 2011

Amazon Order Emily Post Etiquette 18th EditionWelcome to the Etiquette Daily

Pi December 18, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Hi!
I have a question about rings and how to wear them when they are not related to marriage. I have recently recieved a ring of high affective value from an aquaintance and I would want to know when and how it would be appropriate for me to wear this.
I’m 18 and the ring is a very beautiful gold ring. Would it be appropriate for me to wear this on my ring finger? Or should I only use it on my middle finger? And, again, when would it be appropriate for me to wear such a ring?

Just Laura December 19, 2011 at 10:06 am

You may wear it when you like. Please wear it on your right hand’s ring finger; if it doesn’t fit there, one of your other fingers that isn’t your left hand’s ring finger.

Winifred Rosenburg December 19, 2011 at 11:13 am

Just so you know, there is an etiquette rule that says that one shouldn’t accept jewelry from anyone she is not related to. I realize this rule is hardly ever followed, but I thought I would let you know because I was embarrassed to only discover this rule recently.

Elizabeth December 19, 2011 at 11:22 am

How would anyone ever get engaged if that were the case??

Zakafury December 19, 2011 at 12:27 pm

That’s quite absurd. Where did you discover this “rule”?

I’ll search my EP18 tonight.

Just Laura December 19, 2011 at 12:54 pm

It’s a Miss Manners rule.
The engagement ring is a gift given with intent to marry (this is how the law reads in many states), which is why it is acceptable. No, I couldn’t find that Emily Post agrees/disagrees with this rule. I’ve never followed it myself.

Lilli December 19, 2011 at 8:05 pm

I say where it whenever you want and on whatever finger it fits! I have a lovely heirloom gold, black onyx, and (small) diamond ring and it only fits on my left ring finger and that’s where I wear it. Maybe someday when I get married I’ll have it resized so I can wear it on other fingers, but for now it’s staying put. Why should married ladies be the only ones that wear rings on the left hand? It’s my ring, my finger, and I’ll do with them as I please :)