by epi on September 12, 2011

Amazon Order Emily Post Etiquette 18th EditionWelcome to Etiquette Daily

This open thread is your space to use as you like.  We invite you to discuss current and traditional etiquette. Feel free to ask questions of each other and the community moderators here.

T September 12, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Hello!
I’m in disagreement with an acquaintance (A) about something, though I’m not sure if this qualifies as etiquette…
I purchased 6 cupcakes for 6 people, but A ate 2 (so someone else’s share was eaten, and the someone else was a bit miffed), so I told A that it’s wrong to eat more than his share, but A disagreed, calling me “selfish”.

So, is what A did okay? Because now I’m confused as to what’s right or wrong in this case.

Thanks!

Just Laura September 12, 2011 at 1:26 pm

No, what A did is not okay, and I’m confused as to why you would be called “selfish” when you so kindly brought cupcakes to share.

Winifred Rosenburg September 12, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Just Laura is correct. One should never take seconds until everyone has had a chance to have firsts.

bethenny September 12, 2011 at 10:13 pm

I’m pretty sure this is a joke post.

If not, sorry for the assumption.

Rusty Shackleford September 13, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Funny story on a related note; my office recently had a batch of cupcakes that were consumed until there was only one left. We all stared at it, nobody wanting to take the last one. Then the DC earthquake hit, we evacuated the building, upon our return, we found the cupcake had been eaten. Yes, it is very rude to have seconds before people had firsts. But remember, as the bringer of cupcakes, its always a good idea to make more than you think you’ll need for an office (I work in an office where community food offerings are quickly consumed). And a very gracious cupcake bringer would offer up their own cupcake to allow someone else to have one, even if its their second. Of course this does not diminish the rudeness of someone asking for seconds, but just something you can do to make everyone feel a little more comfortable.

Jodi Blackwood September 12, 2011 at 1:30 pm

What’s that old saying?

“The best defense is a good offense…”