by epi on August 2, 2011

This open thread is your space to use as you like.  We invite you to discuss current and traditional etiquette. Feel free to ask questions of each other and the community moderators here.

Maureen August 2, 2011 at 10:29 am

Is it okay for a family member (niece) to schedule her wedding on the anniversary of another family member (aunt & uncle)?

Just Laura August 2, 2011 at 10:43 am

I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t be okay, unless the aunt and uncle were celebrating a milestone anniversary such as their 50th.

Alicia August 2, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Absolutely but if you are concerned why not just ask your aunt and uncle if they will mind. I’m moderatly surprized you know your aunt and uncles wedding anniversary dates. I certainly do not know mine.

Rusty Shackleford August 2, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Actually, in some Mediterranean cultures, it is custom to pick the same wedding date as a grandparents anniversary.

Jackie August 2, 2011 at 3:46 pm

When my aunt was pregnant, her sister in law was actually mad at her because her due date was on her own son’s birthday….like my aunt had any control over when she would give birth! I think my aunt secretly hoped she would have the baby on the actual due date just to annoy her sister in law, but, it didn’t happen. People get touchy about the strangest things, but if you know that these people would not care about having the same anniversary, then don’t worry about it. If you think there is a chance, then approach them about it and take it from there. I don’t think people “own” dates on the calendar.

Valerie August 3, 2011 at 12:51 am

My husband and I were married on what would have been my grandparents’ 60th wedding anniversary. My grandmother was absolutely thrilled and considered it an honor. She said that my grandfather would have loved it too. So, no there is nothing wrong with it and it can be a lovely way to honor someone close.