The Cyber Bully: Complain to the school or deal with it yourself?

by EPI Staff on May 15, 2011

Q: I discovered that my son’s schoolmate is making fun of him on Facebook (though not yet off-line). Should I complain to the school?

A: Yes. Cyber bullying is serious. Go to the principal first: If it’s happening on school Internet systems, the school may be legally required to take action. Also, you can file a complaint with the Web site involved or the bully’s Internet service provider or cell phone company. For details, see

{ 1 comment… read it below or add one }

Country Girl May 16, 2011 at 4:39 pm

If the this schoolmate is doing his facebook bullying only from home (you can probably tell by what time the messages/posts are sent) and the problem isn’t occuring during classes or school activities , I could be wrong, but unfortunately I am not so sure the school will be able to step in to take any action against this child.

In this case you may need to contact the either the child’s parents or the police, if the situation warrents (ie threats of violence, etc.). Print all pertaining messages to keep a record of the bullying and either have your son unadd this bully from his friend list or have your son delete his facebook account. (In my personal opinion, if a child is too young to be able to handle a situation like this by himself, he may be too young to participate in social media anyway.)


Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: